So, how are we all?

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1788

Mrd said:.....
..... I have been reading *The Best American Poetry" of 2006 with guest editor Billy Collins. Treasure hoard. I have about 7 or so of the Best American Poetry series and Billy's sense of taste is so exquisite that I believe I could leaf though all of them, sight-unseen, and pick out his fingerprints over the selections. Mmm. Great supportive dreams from the Oubliette within, so my world is basically rockin' with the simple problem of 13/30 looming. I will be looking for that one which is hiding somewhere around here...stay tooned.

I'm a fan of Billy Collins too; I have his "Poetry 180" anthology which I was re-reading the other week.
Cheers, Josh.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14769

You should both search YouTube for Collins - his rendition of The Lanyard is hilarious and captures the mind of a child perfectly. It's how I first met him, at a reading.

https://youtu.be/0EjB7rB3sWc?si=XulePOmMdB23tJja

Mrd
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 10th Apr 2020
Forum Posts: 74

it's one of my faves.

Mrd
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 10th Apr 2020

And now I've finished the 13/30 rough of "Magdalene in the Dust," and I feel really decent about it, unlike how I felt after my savaging of Bidart a couple of poems back. I did go back and read the Nijinsky poem start to finish and I liked it more than I thought I would, so there's that. And we do grow as poets--at least I hope. I gave up poetry for long decades of my life, believing I had something to say, yes, but not the skill to say it with. So now, with time growing so short, I feel overwhelmed by so much to learn, read, be touched and moved by that it's easy to...freak out a bit. Anyway. Magdalene is unfinished but has promise.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Mrd said:And now I've finished the 13/30 rough of "Magdalene in the Dust," and I feel really decent about it, unlike how I felt after my savaging of Bidart a couple of poems back. I did go back and read the Nijinsky poem start to finish and I liked it more than I thought I would, so there's that. And we do grow as poets--at least I hope. I gave up poetry for long decades of my life, believing I had something to say, yes, but not the skill to say it with. So now, with time growing so short, I feel overwhelmed by so much to learn, read, be touched and moved by that it's easy to...freak out a bit. Anyway. Magdalene is unfinished but has promise.

The entire point of NaPo is to push the writer to write daily sans any excuse they may use throughout the remainder of the year for not writing. Part of the challenge isn't just to write a poem a day, but to be brave enough to post it publicly sans complete satisfaction or potential errors that may have been overlooked during its composition and subsequent posting due to timelines.

I can still remember my first NaPo and how terrifying it was to post something that I felt was subpar. But it taught me something that I'll never forget. It taught me humanity and humility. It taught me bravery and vulnerability. And after that, I had 30 poems to edit - and that's an accomplishment.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Also, the NaPo discussion thread is a perfect place for these types of discussions ( while they are welcome here too ), because all NaPoets can participate.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Tuesday is my Grandson's 14th birthday. FOURTEENTH. I was just changing his diaper and bathing him yesterday. . .he's the one i the hat refusing to show his face!

We're going out to eat this afternoon, and yesterday he wanted to go to an escape room! The 'Braniacs' couldn't find their way out and after an hour had to be released! Has anyone else tried an escape room?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Beautiful spring day! One of my favorite blooms has arrived. Irises!

In national news. . .
https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/12729/225/

Mrd
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 10th Apr 2020

Irises, also known as "flags" from when I was a child. We have tulips here in Indiana bursting up, swaying for the dive-bombing bees. Today I am 79.5 years old. A friend wondered if I'd get half a cake

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever as to my 15/30. Surely something will come or...just cobble something together as a place holder. A special thanks to Cab for making my day yesterday. And Titanium. And Luna.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Mrd said:Irises, also known as "flags" from when I was a child. We have tulips here in Indiana bursting up, swaying for the dive-bombing bees. Today I am 79.5 years old. A friend wondered if I'd get half a cake

I dunno why not. When I was a professional photographer, I took 6-month-old sessions with 1/2 signs, etc.

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever as to my 15/30. Surely something will come or...just cobble something together as a place holder. A special thanks to Cab for making my day yesterday. And Titanium. And Luna. * emphasis mine

And Daisy and Wafflenose ( I'm sure it was a mere oversight ).

Mrd
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 10th Apr 2020

Ahavati said: * emphasis mine

And Daisy and Wafflenose ( I'm sure it was a mere oversight ).

Try groggihess. I was still looking for the broom with which to sweep the cobwebs from my increasingly senile brain. The mind is still as sharp as a butter knife, yes, but the brain, the substrate, resembles swiss cheese.

I am tryng to do the quote thingie. Experimentation.

Daisy and her kindness; Wafflenose with an incalcitrant keyboard which ain't no match for Wafflenose and her I-think-I-can, I-know-I-can across the waters.

As for you, dear Ahavati, thank you for adding the #-thingie to several of my wannabe's. And I love the baby photos with the half-birthday signs.You go, girl.

In lieu of a b'day card for my never-met Uncle Tom, I left a message on their machine. In 2019 I took the family cow to town, traded her in for five magic beans of dna analysis, and finally discovered who my biological father was. Dead at 59 from delayed reaction to radiation from the Nagasaki bomb. He became a walking, talking, slowly rotting human geiger counter.  I searched for him for decades with the few clues left from that one-night encounter. They seem to wish I'd go away. So, no, I'm not in the best of whatevers today.

(Puts on happy face and...SMILES!)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

!!! I was hosing off my back patio this morning and saw a Monarch caterpillar!

crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2645

Ahavati said:!!! I was hosing off my back patio this morning and saw a Monarch caterpillar!

that's wonderful luck beautiful Ahavati they used to make their way through Cali in numbers but now they are dwindling off sadly...

Mrd
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 10th Apr 2020

Awfully good to eat, though, those monarchs. Yum.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

ACK! @ Mrd.

'Wish flower' as my grandson calls them. Setting up for a photo shoot with him on his 14th birthday today. I cannot believe he's 14 and starts high school this year. It really is the blink of an eye.

Go to page:
Go to: