Go to page:

2024 Official DUP NaPoWriMo Discussion Thread

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1187

It has sand in it, so it's almost theme related....  ;)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14693

brokentitanium said:This year, I'm approaching this challenge as an opportunity (that's the nice way of saying it's forcing me) to create intentional space in my routine for creative time. So far, so good - I've written 'something' every morning for 9 days now. IN THE MORNING. MORNING!!! This is huge for me. Every other NaPo has been a skin-of-my-teeth, end-of-the-day affair involving a lot of sleep deprivation. I'm not excited about all the poems I've written so far... but I AM excited about the possibility that I might actually find a way to consistently fit poetry (and/or music) into my everyday life!

I always post my NaPo poems on my page right away because if I don't, it might never happen. (And because I'm a sucker for interaction, which we can't do in the Challenge.) But that's just how I operate. I don't care if y'all see me a little unkempt. If I think a poem is worth it, I'll scrub up their nails & brush their hair later to make them presentable to the world in some other setting. To my knowledge, no one jumps from DUP to "the bigtime" (is there a poetry bigtime??) without publishing elsewhere first, so I see this place as my playground - where I can fall off the monkey bars onto my face without any real consequence.

Thanks for giving us such a fun game to play here, NaPo Team! 😁

(I dunno what got me going on that little rant... this place has been too quiet anyway!)

You're very welcome. You're amazing everyone this year! Keep up the good work.

Have you ever heard of Julia Cameron's 'The Artist's Way'?
https://juliacameronlive.com/the-artists-way/

I truly believe this would benefit you. I have an extra book if you want it!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

brokentitanium said:It has sand in it, so it's almost theme related....  ;)

LMAO!! True.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Mrd said:Much aloha to both of you. Ahavati is my idea of the perfect Earth Mama moderator and you are to be commended for your dedication to your craft.

I post clunkers now and then just to keep up with the deadline pressure, hoping to rewrite down the line.

My cat poem which I am struggling to write has me all torn up inside but I have to get it done just to express what I am going through, without trying to make it sound like it's the end of the world.

So. My very best to both of you, too all of us, who choose our priorities and put one (in my case) leaden foot in front of the other.

mrd

LOL @ Earth Mama. To write a poem a day for 30 days is an accomplishment. As I told Inside_Roare, these are all basically drafts slated to be edited in May. I mean think about it, you'll have 30 poems to edit!

I am very proud of our NaPoets this year. The poetry has excelled our expectations. I've seen the best poems about coffee, breakfast, a leaf, and so forth. The wondrous thing is that there's beauty in every thing that exists if we can filter it out of our fear of not being inspired enough to write.

You got this.

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 780

brokentitanium said:This year, I'm approaching this challenge as an opportunity (that's the nice way of saying it's forcing me) to create intentional space in my routine for creative time. So far, so good - I've written 'something' every morning for 9 days now. IN THE MORNING. MORNING!!! This is huge for me. Every other NaPo has been a skin-of-my-teeth, end-of-the-day affair involving a lot of sleep deprivation. I'm not excited about all the poems I've written so far... but I AM excited about the possibility that I might actually find a way to consistently fit poetry (and/or music) into my everyday life!

I always post my NaPo poems on my page right away because if I don't, it might never happen. (And because I'm a sucker for interaction, which we can't do in the Challenge.) But that's just how I operate. I don't care if y'all see me a little unkempt. If I think a poem is worth it, I'll scrub up their nails & brush their hair later to make them presentable to the world in some other setting. To my knowledge, no one jumps from DUP to "the bigtime" (is there a poetry bigtime??) without publishing elsewhere first, so I see this place as my playground - where I can fall off the monkey bars onto my face without any real consequence.

Thanks for giving us such a fun game to play here, NaPo Team! 😁

(I dunno what got me going on that little rant... this place has been too quiet anyway!)

Hi, brokent...
These sincere words from you are a treasure to a thirsty soul.  I think you have been doing excellently so far with the challenge.  You have even found it within you to be writing stuff in the morning hours now, instead of on the deadline brink.

Here's the part I especially like:  "I AM excited about the possibility that I might actually find a way to consistently fit poetry (and/or music) into my everyday life!"  Plus this:  "...to create intentional space in my routine."  Interesting how I said something similar to someone several weeks ago, in a workshop situation. I reflected on the days I had to wait at the mercy of inspiration to write a poem.  Sometimes 2 or 3 years would pass without a line; I thought, what if I had to depend on writing for economic survival, I would die a pauper!  Because of NaPo and other influences, I can now command a poem at will.  Inspiration may fall asleep, unless I inspire myself intrinsically, according to a deliberate and lively spontaneity to write.
cab

Razzerleaf
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 26awards
Joined 15th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 523

@ Brokentitanium....I think you speak for a lot of us in this rant...Ha Ha your words not mine.

But wait...what ??? I thought we weren't allowed to post the NaPo brain dumps on the main site...OK I have some catching up to do and some comments to write, turns out we have some awesome brain dumpers.

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1187

Razzerleaf said:@ Brokentitanium....I think you speak for a lot of us in this rant...Ha Ha your words not mine.

But wait...what ??? I thought we weren't allowed to post the NaPo brain dumps on the main site...OK I have some catching up to do and some comments to write, turns out we have some awesome brain dumpers.

Yes! We're allowed to post them! Posting my poem right away also saves me from any editing fouls in the NaPo challenge. If I think something needs editing, I can fix it in my posted poem without worrying about the 24 hour rule, and leave the NaPo one to sit in all it's warty glory in the challenge with no strikes.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Razzerleaf said:@ Brokentitanium....I think you speak for a lot of us in this rant...Ha Ha your words not mine.

Hi, Razzer! This thread is specifically for NaPoet's braindumps! The main challenge is where no comments are allowed. Looking forward to reading yours!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I LOVE the smell of NaPoets in the morning! I have to honestly say this is the smoothest NaPo. It's running like a well-oiled machine: Team and Participants! Keep up the dedication and inspiring poetry!

Inside_Roare
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 8th Sep 2023
Forum Posts: 16

I sent 6 texts in three days, but there will be a period again when I just can't do it. I don't want to influence it with competition. If at least a few people like it, I'm satisfied. The song

INSIDE ROARE
I want to be a little star

A little star began to shine in the sky,
it shines for you so that you have a reason that it shines only for you.
For the love you secretly hide, it will continue to shine
endless darkness.

Become a constellation and light the way,
I dance in a swarm of millions of stars.
Just for you to shine, I'm your star
I want to lead you along the pure path.

A little star began to shine in the sky,
shining on your happiness, shining on your love
Let my glow guide you, go on
aaaaaal

Become a constellation and light the way,
I dance in a swarm of millions of stars.
Just for you to shine, I'm your star
I want to lead you along the pure path.

It is a matter of my heart dedicated personally to Aurora.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Lovely lyrics, Inside Roare. Maybe you'll be ready for next year's challenge!

crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2643

I can't find the challenge page for Naprio

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

crimsin said:I can't find the challenge page for Naprio

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/12766/

Freaking hell. You almost gave me a heart attack!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Ho!Ho! Look at you all GO! A team member just remarked this morning that it looks like 35 are going to cross the line this year! You GO with your bad selves, NaPoets!

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1386

Don't forget the special thread for Eerie! Ahavati has already started it. If you'd like to add a poem, song, meme, whatever to send support Eerie's way, we'd love to see it and I'm sure Eerie would too.

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/12777/#579095

Go to page:
Go to: